The last week before Christmas can be stressful and busy. There is last-minute shopping, baking treats for loved ones, and finalizing Christmas Eve and Day plans. While this time is enjoyable, you might not be thinking about your daily life practices, such as eating regular meals. Never fear, I have the perfect to-go dish for any pre-Christmas dinner – my Nana’s homemade mac and cheese (my favorite meal ever!)
Nana’s Homemade Mac and Cheese:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni for 9 minutes. Drain, cover, and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually mix in cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta; mix together lightly and pour into 2-quart casserole.
- Bake 25 minutes.