This past weekend, my sister and brother-in-law moved to Kentucky. While I am missing them tremendously, I’m also excited for this new adventure for many reasons. You see, with them living in another state, I get to travel more often and see more places – one of my favorite things to do!
Growing up, I remember watching Travel Channel’s Samantha Brown and her shows, Great Hotels and Passport to Europe. For each episode, I kept thinking “Samantha has the best job in the world and I would love to have it.” As I watched the shows, I quickly realized I had a passion for traveling.
The reason why I travel is simple-to see the world and gain experiences. There is so much learning to be had outside of your comfort zone. My travel philosophy is to travel as much as possible, while learning about the history of an area and the people who live there. It also includes being adventurous and making memories. This philosophy plays into my five step travel list.
For every trip I take, I must:
- Take tons of pictures. I always come home with about 1,000+ photos.
- Meet and talk with the locals. You’ll get the best information about where to eat, what to do, and learn more about the area from a person who lives there.
- Research the location’s history and plan out my must-sees. However, I am careful to not plan too much and allow time for adventures.
- Get lost—on purpose. Take a back road, walk down a different street, just get out and explore.
- Go back to that same destination. It might not be the next year, or the year after that, but sometime in my life, I will make the time to go back.
If you want to get out of your comfort zone and see the world, you must travel. It doesn’t have to be a three week excursion. It can be a day trip to a nearby city or even a stay-cation in your own town. Just travel!
Trust me-adventure is out there. You just have to make up your mind and go!