For many families, the days of summer and no school are winding down. Soon, days will be filled with school, extracurricular activities, and early sunsets. Cherish the remaining longer days with your loved ones and enjoy time together with these three summer activities.
Ice Cream in a Bag
Ingredients (The amount is per person; multiply the ingredients by how many people you are making the ice cream for):
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup rock salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sandwich-size resealable plastic bag
- Gallon-size resealable plastic bag
- In a bowl, stir together the cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a sandwich-size bag and close.
- Add the ice and rock salt into the gallon-size bag. Then, place the filled sandwich-size bag inside the gallon-size bag and seal.
- Shake the bags for about 5 minutes until the ice cream is frozen.
- Remove the gallon-size bag with the rock salt and throw away.
- Cut a corner off the sandwich-size bag and squeeze out the ice cream into a bowl. Add toppings, if you desire.
Glow in the Dark Sidewalk Chalk
Materials (per chalk color):
- 1 cup Plaster of Paris
- 1 tablespoon glow in the dark or fluorescent paint
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Ice cube trays
Directions (per chalk color):
- Mix together the paint and water in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the Plater of Paris to the mixture.
- Pour the ingredients into the ice cube tray. Pack tightly for the chalk to hold its shape.
- Let dry for about 12 hours. Remove the chalk from the trays and have fun!
- Repeat steps for every paint color you would like to make.
- Fly swatters
- Take turns hitting the balloon back and forth between players. Keep score of who can hit the balloon the most before it falls to the ground.